It's now a year since I wrote Part 5 and my wife and I have lived in Ecuador for 4 + years. Largely Subjective This post is based on my usage and mistakes in Cuenca.
This advice is meant for Those on a limited budget and not bringing a container to Ecuador. I am going to start with the Most Important device and work by way down to the small items that you 'That can not find or are expensive in Ecuador.
Smartphone: Invest in an unlocked Nexus 6 or iPhone 6+. These phones are Relatively large Sometimes called phablets but They Will be your best friend in Ecuador techonology. Also I Suggest you buy a data plan. In Cuneca I pay $ 32 a month for data and minutes and never run out of Either one. Below are some use other than voice and texting.
- Maps and directions
- Photo and video (I have not used my expensive Canon in 4 months)
- Easy Taxi - Requesting taxis at night and in bad weather
- Learning Spanish (Translate, SpanishDict, Duolingo)
- Music listening (Amazon complete music library)
- Netflix (watching movies)
- Playing Bridge
Tablet: I have the iPad Mini w / retina screen but I can highly recommend the Nexus 7. recommend the larger tablets (The iPad Air is an excellent choice) if you are not going to bring your computer. I'm sticking to my recommendation of not bringing a computer if you do not need it for business or serious photo / video editing. A large tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard will be powerful and very portable.
Streaming Boxes: hockey puck These devices will be your companions night time if you enjoy watching movies and TV series. You can not go wrong With the ones below:
- Apple TV
- Roku 3
- Amazon Fire TV
Basically you can watch TV series and movies With These devices connected to your TV. They Also have the added advantage of wirelessly connecting some of your devices (computer, tablet cases) wirellessly to your TV. *** Important note. To fully Use These services you need to purchase a VPN (virtual private network) Router. I use the Cisco router Sabai Because of the excellent technical support. I go to great lengths to describe the challenges of watching TV / Movies in Ecuador. I recommend using the search facility on this blog and typing in "VPN" and you will see several Posts with Recommendations.
Google just came out With Their own streaming box called Nexus Player but I have not seen enough reviews to recommend buying That device.
- Netflix subscription- $ 9 per month - Invaluable
- Amazon Prime subscription $ 8.25 per month - (Music, Movies, Books, Unlimited Photo Storage (
- Bluetooth keyboard for your tablet or smarthone
- Thumb drives (32 GB) for transferring information or bring data to be printed
- VPN subscription - Strong VPN I use and it's about $ 8 a month
- Skype subscription - Free Video Calls to other Skype users.
- MagicJack - Practically free calls to any cell phone or landline in the US
Some of the subscribers of this blog have great success With Ooma. It's worth a look for cheap and dependable calls back to the US
Recommendations are my esta again based on my experience. I have not used my DVD player in two months and my camera in 4 months. Save the room in your suitcases for good sheets and towels :-)